View Dale Coast Walk in a larger map
Stop 18: (510 m) Dale Castle – SM 805 057
Dale castle was originally the site of a Norman castle or Tower House. It was built after the English invasion of South Wales, and occupied by the de Vale family from about 1130 to 1300. The male line of the family died out, and subsequent owners rotated through the female bloodline.
Ownership passed to the Walter family of Roch Castle, from whom Lucy Walter, mistress of Charles II and mother of the Duke of Monmouth was descended.
Subsequent owners were the families of the Paynters, Allens and Lloyds. It is now owned by the Lloyd-Philipps family, who sold much of the estate land, including the island of Skokholm.
The modern Castle was rebuilt in 1910, incorporating parts of the medieval castle in the south wing. It is not open to the public.
Continue along the road to Dale Church.